TOURISM BAROMETER DEC 2020
The latest TiCSA Tourism Barometer report for the October to December 2020 quarter shows that our industry conditions are strong for those businesses that cater to SA visitors, while other businesses are struggling for recovery activity.
International border closures and uncertainty, cancelled events and poor consumer confidence are having the greatest influence on business activity and future outlook.
Please see below for a breakdown of the key findings.
- SA remains slightly above the national industry trend, with 37% of respondents reporting stronger activity and higher turnover attributed to local demand within our regions.
- 29% of tourism businesses are open but with significantly reduced operations, 4% are still closed.
- 55% reported weaker business activity for this quarter.
- 38% are expecting business activity to be stronger for the March 2021 quarter.
- Forward bookings are reportedly down by around one-third, which is in line with other states.
- If JobKeeper concludes at the end of March 2021, 64% of respondents said this will have no impact on their business.
- 21% of respondents will be forced to stand down or make more staff redundant.
- 8% of businesses will be forced to close.